On 12th February 2012, Toastmasters International - VIT Chapter, organized its first ever official Speech Contest titled - 'Speech Contest 1.0'. The event was held at VIT,vellore. The event was scheduled from 9.00 AM to 1.00 PM. The Speech Contest is an annual event for every Toastmasters Club. It is categorized into two:
1. International Speech Contest - In this phase of the contest, the participants are expected to deliver a prepared speech on any topic of their choice for about 5-7 minutes.
2. Table-Topics Contest - In this phase of the contest, a single common topic is given to the participants and each one of them is expected to deliver an impromptu talk on the same. All the participants except the current speaker are seated in a different room than the contest venue in order to ensure that they have no idea of the given topic.
The contests were of the highest standards. All the role players were from VIT, and they knew their roles well. Sergeant At Arms, Timers and Ballot Counters were highly professional in their approach. The Contest ChairAparajita Lahree was a silent performer, who ensured that all the documents and things were in place. Special mention about Srividya who did the role of Contest Master with the right amount of energy, and not taking the show away from the contestants. The 5 judges who attended the speech contest sung songs in praises as to the manner in which the even was conducted and especially the quality of the event . overall the speech contest was the first of its kind in vit and happened to be a grand success. It was yet another feather in the cap for vit tmi.
Toastmasters International - VIT Chapter made their presence as a chapter in VIT University felt through their premium event 'Mouth Speak' during Riviera'12 on the 5th of February, 2012 at Kamaraj Auditorium. The event began at 9.00 AM and went on till 4.00 PM.The event was full of fun, frolic and some serious tongue twists and knowledge of English grammar. The event comprised of 5 rounds, each testing the creativity,
speaking skills, and team management of the participants. At the end of round 3, which was an elimination round, the top 6 progressed into the next round. Most of the rounds were conducted on team basis. The teamwork played a major role for winning progression. The participants were allowed to participate in a team of 4 members at max.The rounds were in the following order (with judging criteria);
1. Taboo The objective of the game was that a player to have his/her partner(s) guess the word on his/her card without using the word itself or five additional words listed on the card.
2. 30 Second Shift The team members had to come in progression and one after the other build a story and continue it till the end of the time limit of 30 seconds for the individual or a total of 2 minutes for the team.
3. Questions Convo The aim of this round was to converse in questions and questions alone to build a sane dialogue. Only 2 from a team could participate.
4. Extempore The team members had to choose a participant of their own who had to come and give an extempore speech for 2 minutes on a topic given on the spot.
5. Prepared Speech 30 minutes of preparation time was allowed for a finale 5 to 7 minutes speech showdown. Only one participant from each team could participate in this round.
The event witnessed a participation of about 20 teams of which there were 12 teams of external participants dominated by Sastra University, Thanjavur. The other colleges that participated included teams from Bharatidasan College, Hosur, VIT Uni- versity, Chennai Campus, VIT University, Vellore Campus and others to name a few. 'Mouth Speak' was very well appreciated by all the participants and received a very positive feedback. On the whole the event turned out to be a grand success and Toastmasters International - VIT Chapter added another feather to its cap of events for this semester.
Toastmasters International-VIT Chapter just grew to become an year old on the 25th of January, 2012. And because it is like a baby to all those who have put their minds, heart and soul over the year making sure of its growth and achievements, all the Toastmasters joined in celebrating its 1st Anniversary on the 26th of January, 2012, i.e. the Republic Day, being a holiday.This day, all Toastmasters were part of a special session at Amala's(Opposite Olive Kitchen, Katpadi). There were about 45 Toastmasters who made it there for the session sporting our own t-shirts We marked our celebrations by cutting a grand cake which had our own chapter's logo as an icing on it. Then we had the distribution of cake. This was followed by the normal Toastmasters session which was then followed by a one-on-one interactive session and a small musical program which involved music by fellow Toastmasters. This event proved to be very useful in networking with each and every member well.